Tuesday 24 June 2014

Down Vest Review from LAMM 2014

This review will appear in next edition of Compass Sport.
 
Down Vest from Hangar 18 ORR
By Duncan Archer

Last issue I gave an overview of “Hangar 18 ORR”, a new entrant to the technical outdoor clothing and equipment market, and focussed on their down jacket. I was also recently given one of the Down Vests to try out. When it arrived, I immediately wondered if it could act as an “additional warm layer top” for a mountain marathon. The approaching LAMM seemed like the ideal opportunity to try it out. Usually on MMs I’ve carried a thin lightweight fleece. At just over 200g the H18 down vest was slightly lighter. It packed down to the size of a fist, but when plumped up it looked substantially warmer. Did it do the job? Yes, definitely! I’d had two main concerns beforehand, but both turned out fine. Firstly I was worried about the down getting wet – but the showerproof coating, and wearing with a waterproof (which you must carry anyway) on top when it properly rained at the camp, made it fine. Secondly that it was sleeveless and my arms would be cold – but I wore a thin long sleeved thermal underneath, and the down does such a great job keeping your core warm, that the warmth spreads to your whole body, and I was very toasty. If it is particularly cold at night you can also keep it on in your sleeping bag for extra warmth.

The vest is available in storm blue, petrol blue, rust or in black. The Outer fabric is 400T 22D nylon Rip Stop, Down Proof with a Showerproofing. Stitch through construction. 90% New Duck Down with 650 fill Power. Overall I’d highly recommend it, if you are looking for a lightweight additional warm layer for mountain marathons, or just casual wear at races. RRP £80, available online fromhttp://www.h18orr.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

On Rocky Ridges

Check out www.h18orr.com